Sunday, March 31, 2013

On Sharing

A few months ago one of my best friends from high school posted this photo along with beautiful words of gratitude on my Facebook timeline:
The bracelet in this photo is either the first or second leather bracelet I ever created. The reason that I do not know which number is because there are technically two "firsts" out there in the world. Jeanette (above) has one. Her twin sister Haley has the other.

When we were little girls we played together in the church nursery and our mothers were friends. It wasn't until we were in the eighth grade that all our paths crossed again. Haley and Jeanette's amazing, STRONG, inspired, not-afraid-to-look-silly, cheerful, fell-asleep-in-the-bathtub, patient, sacrificially giving, mother Kathy was taken from this earth too early. What a ray of joyful light she was!

When she passed, Kathy left behind this amazing floral, hand tooled leather belt. Back when she wore it her waist was so super tiny---neither of her skinny girls could even fit into it! Somehow the beautiful belt was given to me to "do something with". I remember wondering what/how I could make that both girls could enjoy. Somehow I got the idea to cut the belt in two and make each of the girls a cuff bracelet to wear and keep the memory of their mama close.

Well, I fell in love with the general idea and soon found myself thrifting, Ebaying and hunting for vintage leather belts. My friends and family found them at all kinds of interesting places and sent them my way. When the prices of the belts skyrocketed with the vintage clothing trends, I learned how to cut, tool, paint and distress my own calf sides. Eventually I combined metals and leather to create more and more bracelets.

I once gave a "love" bracelet to a tiny girl on roller skates in China who called out, "Hey American!" after I had quickly walked around her. I turned around, took it off my wrist and slipped it over her own. I still remember her huge, beautiful smile and the look on her bewildered grandfather's face.

My "brOKen" leather bracelet tutorial (posted because of this story) has seen 528 hits since I posted it in July of 2009.

Where there is community and love there is also heartache. I once made three custom bracelets and delivered them to the door of a stranger who chose not to pay me. I've taken checks only to have them bounce days later. Some have even been stolen from me. This kind of thing really hurts and causes me to question my own vulnerability...but the benefits always outweigh the risks.

Telling and hearing the stories of my bracelets---both good and bad, joy and pain---reminds me that what the world chooses to do with my bracelets is not up to me. God knows who, what, why, when and where they will land. I was called to create, to inspire and to share. It's the only way for me to really live.


1 comment:

Julie said...

This brought tears to my eyes as I read about Kathy. Just this morning I was in my bathtub and smiled because I remembered her telling me that she sometimes fell asleep in the tub and stayed in there all night. I asked God to bless her today and if possible let her know that it was me who asked Him to bless her. I miss her so much sometimes and I have always been thankful that our paths crossed again at that band concert at Wilbur and she asked if I would be her para.

I did not know you left a love bracelet in China--thanks for sharing that story.