Thursday, January 31, 2013

Silver Ring

A base piece of silver has two rails and a textured middle soldered on top.
 

The wonky shape is bent and soldered .

Shaped on a mandrel, then sanded, and dumped in the pickle.
I do love how gleaming white silver looks in this stage.
 
Oxidized

Hand polished with graduating sand papers



Someone has a thoughtful Valentine!
 This is technically the first time I have intentionally made a successful version of this ring. The first time I made this design it was on "accident". Then last week there was a bit of a learning curve. (I'm out of practice.) Here you can see two failed attempts that preceded the successful ring in the above photos:


I got a new bench pin tool that was supposed to make sawing a straight line easier.  The only problem with using it is that you can't see through wood. Duh. People in Co probably heard me cussing when I realized I sawed right through other side (the front) of my band. It is straight, though.

This one, well, this one just wasn't good enough. I attempted to use pieced together sterling for the rails. 

The one I made for Cody is on the left and the new one is on the right.
Cody's was tumbled to a high polish.
For now the new ring has only been hand polished with papers. We'll see what its owner likes best.
I do like the gray matte finish. 

No comments: