Saturday, November 14, 2009

Spinner rings and things





In class this week I attempted to make a really fancy spinner ring (see bottom ring). It didn't turn out. The important thing to note, though, is that there is a such thing as solder resist...and the new formula white-out no longer acts as one. I am excited to know the possibility is out there.

Anyhow, all is not lost because Cody is now wearing the cement-textured failure. It looks pretty good on him---and only you guys will know it was supposed to spin between the rails. It's a chunk of silver for sure.

I then set about to make a more "cave-man" like version of the spinner. I was so excited to try flange-ing (this is the word I keep using for this, but what is the correct word? Any help? Why do I keep wanting to say flange?) the ends that I didn't pay much attention to detail and made a pretty crappy ring. It spins but not nearly as well as the other ring once did. I am excited to know the possibility of better versions of this are out there.

There are so many things to try. Too bad silver doesn't cost the same thing as paper or ink or leather.

Don't feel too bad for me, though. This week on my (let it be known on my 34th birthday, 11-11-09) I took a sketch from my sketchbook and gave it 3D life. I am so thrilled with the result that I can't let myself put it out on the internet. I really want to share it but can't. Just know that it's pretty cool, and from what my aunt (she has big eyes, too) and I have seen, it has never been done before. Some day I might finally get to design school and have a platform from which to market my idea. It's not going to be knocked off until then.

I'm considering my options for next semester these days. I am pretty sure I'm going to take a semester off now. I want to take that second class Roger offers, but Cody recently took a new job and adjusting to it has been quite the feat! I am glad to say we are doing well with it by now, but I have to slow down for a bit. It will be a welcome change of pace...until I am ready to go again. :)
One more thing. If any of you have a need for Christmas gifts in the $10 range, I still have lots to pick from. I am considering doing an open house/open workshop time between Thanksgiving and Christmas. Will keep you posted.

1 comment:

Kim from Kansas said...

Bevel, brim, gallery, phalanges?--ha!

Happy to hear about the 3-d project thingy ;o)