Thursday, February 7, 2008

~The 'Zine~













































__________________The Business____________________________
I'm still going to get M&M to scan the layout copy and put it in to the Adobe format, but I want everyone to have access to it asap since Ash Wednesday has already come and gone. I think these photos of the 'Zine might print well, too, if you don't want to wait for the Adobe files. As I said at our Ash Wednesday service, please feel free to copy this body of work and distribute at will. I would love for more of these to be made and given away. I only ask that you keep the last page, the signature and artist credit pages with the whole thing. Please do not reproduce any one page without at least those other two alongside. Thanks.

I gave away 23 color cover B&W copies on Ash Wednesday. I had 50 B&W copies made for $2 each, and I'll be giving them out to anyone who wants one. I'll have them at church. I'll probably let everyone take them down to their favorite coffee shops/bookstores, friends, etc. If you'd like to help with cost, I'll take donations. I do not want to/will not allow myself profit one penny from this. If I do recover the dollar amount I have into this (just the copy prices), I will not allow anymore donations. This is my gift; it has already come back to me in spades. (If you've purchased a bracelet or mirror from me in the last 6 months, congratulations, you funded the 'Zine seed purchase. :) I've told you that's my fun money!)

I did make ten full color copies for $7 each (cost) and anyone can purchase one of them from me. I might make more of these just for convenience, but as I said earlier, it it's just as easy for you to make your own color copy, the option is available/will be available soon. (That might save us all time and postage.) I want anyone who wants one to get one.

________________The Thought Process Behind It _________________

On Ash Wednesday I met a new friend, Cynthia. She asked why I was compelled to make this 'Zine. I explained that with my Mennonite background, images weren't exactly a celebrated thing, nor was the observance of Lent (which by the way is not at all just about giving up meat or something else). I shared with Cynthia that there might be others like me out there who always get sick to their stomach when Easter comes and goes and all that's left is the hollow, chocolate bunny.

I shared the 'Zine with a guy who has grown up in a church that doesn't observe Lent according to the Christian Calendar. He was struck by the image on the Holy Saturday page. He had not considered the anguish, hope, anticipation, tortuous waiting, etc. that the disciples shared.

This is only the second time in my 32 years that I've observed Lent. Because my experience of Easter always consisted of Good Friday followed by Easter Contatas, followed by the Easter Bunny who came and made it all better, some of the truth of Easter was lost on me. I need the weeks before, I need Holy Saturday in order to know a deeper joy on Easter Morning. I am in love with the season and all that it means because of how it all points to Christ and His kingdom on earth and in heaven.

If the images and words in this 'Zine can connect others with the deep meaning of Easter, the time before and after it, then the 'Zine has served its purpose.

There is more to this life right now---I'm no longer just hanging tight to my ticket for heaven.

So I guess that's it for now. My love, Mel ps)I have "missing-my-neighbor-sickness". Really. I hope she comes home soon. Next year she'll be able to help me with this 'Zine and it will be even better.

5 comments:

erin(DANIELLE) said...

you amaze me.
thanks for thinking like i do.
i love you.
and if you have extra copies i would love one.

Anonymous said...

the zine has really helped me focus during this season. thank you.

Anonymous said...

I love my copy.. Thanks...Loren's brother thought it was really cool too! I love the artist in you dear freind.

Kim from Kansas said...

Great job on the 'Zine! You are God's instrument!

Anonymous said...

these are beautiful!-kristi