Monday, February 4, 2008

Urban John and Trace Bundy

Before last night I'd never been on The List. (I've even had to pay to see my own husband play before.) I got to go backstage at the Uptown Theatre, the same place we saw Muse & Interpol play. Last night I sat on the same couch that Marilyn Manson sits on tonight. Given the choice of going backstage with any of the acts that have been through that theatre, last night would still be my first choice for being on The List.

Forget the others; give me Urban John!

I've never felt so honored, or been so proud of UJ and Ty. Here's a clip of UJ playing his violin. He looped it over and over until the swell of it was thick enough to breathe.



This second clip proves the fun Ty had with the Big Muff pedal he borrowed from Cody. It sounded pretty dirty. (I gave Cody that pedal for our 1st wedding anniversary. It's made out of old Russian tank parts. Barefooted, I've stepped on the corner of that pedal before...not good.)



Brandon was every bit the drummer Cody built him up to be. Cody even mentioned that he played conservatively last night. I guess he's capable of stealing the show---though no one cares when he does. Maybe next time.

Though lots of the crowd was there to see less progressive, more traditional, acoustic entertainment, the guys kept the audience captivated. They only played three longish songs, a total of 30 minutes...but that's the real way to leave a crowd.

I thoroughly enjoyed hearing and talking with Trace Bundy. His heart, his humor, his talent, his desire to share and relate with others sets his music far apart from even the most perfected technical musician. Here is a person who is able to do that which he loves for a living and keep it his passion. (Not many people can do this, can they?) He must really be called to it. I thanked his wife for "sharing" this part of him with everyone; I am certain touring is not the easiest way to live.

While Trace played, because of some of what he said, because of some of what I've been talking about lately, because his music is condusive to meditation, the idea for my next assemblage piece/group of paintings came to me. I'm not sure what medium will work best with the ideas, but you can bet I'll have to get them out of my head soon. I've been praying for about 12 years for a way to communicate something for which I've never found words. Last night the perfect images popped in to my head.

Good artists inspire others. It's not just their guitar or their paint, their technique or their equipment; it's the application of a whole being, a person who relates on many levels, empowers, and who freely gives but also takes. These guys are the real deal. How on earth did I get so lucky that God would give me whole friends like these? I am so blessed.

Get your calendars ready to save the date for this show next year; I'm pretty sure they will do it again. Oh yeah, if you can't wait a year, I have it from a really great source that Urban John will be playing in Wichita with the Vehicles really soon. I'll keep you posted.

2 comments:

tykasper said...

The pedal I used for that song was actually a micro synth pedal your husband loaned me. :) Thanks for coming, Leigh and I had a great time with you guys!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.