Saturday, January 16, 2016

Labradorite Ring for Star

I set this beautiful chunk of labradorite (shipped from India) for friends over the Christmas break. I wanted the back of the stone to show so I sawed windows in the base. The twist shank is more functional (pregnancy shifts ring sizes) even though it ends up beautifully balancing the design both literally and figuratively.

When pushing and polishing the original bezel, I wore right through to the rock. So, I cut a new base and bezel and set the ring again. Good thing, because, of course the second setting is much better. The first one didn't actually balance and the windows weren't as even. I would rather leave something like this in the world than the first version for sure!

Sure wish the labradorite itself was easier to photograph. I took all these photos after I hand polished but  before I tumbled the ring. It ended up even shinier! My friends were pleased.




No comments: