Sunday, January 4, 2015

An update on Chloe and Mason

What follows could be considered the closest thing I get to writing an obnoxious Christmas letter (at least it's not written in 3rd person). Please keep in mind I mainly write this blog to document my process in time. You are welcome to read and resonate with it, but remember it is not necessarily written for you. It is my hope that some day my children and grand children will read this when they move through similar spaces as a parent and or when they actually care to know how I experienced such things. My own mother recently commented on how each generation moves through similar transitions, just at different intervals (hello, systems theory). It IS a crying shame I can't ask my grandparents about transitioning their kids to college now, isn't it? I would love to know what they were thinking and how they handled it.... 

SO,

My kids are growing up right under my nose. So is their love of art, which is just fascinating to me. It would be easy to take the credit lots of people assign to me and Cody regarding their success, but I know the truth. The truth is, both kids continue to come in to their own with the arts, largely the result of their own process, with the support of extended family, friends, and aid of amazing strangers and teachers in the community.

Just yesterday Chloe told me she "made the mistake of" telling some people around her high school that such-and-so handed her the City Arts Council award in October. When this man gave her the plaque he said something about judging her bunny for the regional Scholastics show---and that he wanted her to know he would be watching for her Senior portfolio this year. Of course people might assume and comment on how she is earning awards because of who she knows (and because of who her parents know*)(**), but that would be incorrect. The Scholastics show is blindly judged. She is earning awards because her artwork is really that good.

I haven't mentioned it, but aside from winning a Scholastics national gold medal and being published in the subsequent catalog and journal, her bunny (Nature Burn Nature) ended up being printed in the Scholastics calendar. This means that out of 344,000 pieces of nationally juried and submitted art, Chloe's drawing was 1 of 12.
(Photo taken before she added the smoke. This bunny is still traveling.)
Chloe has moved from a space of making art because it is demanded of her for a grade, to making art because she loves it. Seriously, what more could a parent wish for?!? The navigation of this space has been difficult at times for me and Cody to witness as well as difficult to parent through. One of my greatest fears as a parent is that either of my children would lose their love for the arts because of such demands. (Ask Cody what a fight I put up when he wanted to put both kids in formal music lessons.)


The overall adjustment of transitioning Chloe to college later this year is enough of a whole body rattle! Cody has made funny comments about her being a Royal Tenenbaum. (We all know and love the Tenenbaum kids not in spite of, but rather for the vortex their natural gifts spawned. What the heck is supposed to happen when your street credit supersedes the stability of your personality/leg stability?) Watching Chloe powerfully navigate this last year, tells me my girl is gaining strength, and will be just fine.

The fact that Mason is a drummer has never been surprising or more fitting for him. He does his own thing, sets his own beat, more and more often now. His iPod plays (we both take a curious look when Cody loads new songs onto it) demonstrate this reality. Lots of Radiohead, Four Tet, old jazz, new jazz, etc. He has received formal instruction for years now, and (somewhat to my surprise***) his love of playing music continues to grow. He is actually looking forward to marching band (so far his love for drumming is actually trumping the early rising, uncomfortable shoulder harness and uniform part) next year. He has said he would only do jazz band if it were an option....

He also continues to talk about pottery even when he is not throwing. I think the rhythm and hand involvement must be part of the natural draw for him. He talks about looking forward to high school because he will finally have "free access" to a wheel and kilns. I can see him throwing with his earbuds in...though he will certainly have to cut his mop (surprising point of contention) or be able to tie it back by then.

Given the chance to create anything in his Art II course this year, Mason hand built a plain white toilet with working lid. (Did I forget to mention he has a quick wit and he loves to laugh?) When he told me about the toilet, I immediately thought of DuChamp's Fountain and rushed to show it to him. Were I given the opportunity to build anything, with the chance to use the confetti glaze I saw on multiple pieces in his class, I'd make the busiest, tackiest thing ever. I think the toilet piece it is telling of Mason's strong (it has always been there****), personal aesthetic. He is peaceful and kind and loving, and yet he is also unafraid to be bold, like his dad. Watching him strike a Timpani is most thrilling.

So, due to natural process, both kids are cultivating strong, personal aesthetics that simply cannot have come from me and Cody. They are both already outgrowing their parents in formal instruction and talent---something I have always known would be easy for anyone to do. What I have also always wondered about and sought to foster, then, is their LOVE and appreciation for the arts. Sometimes I fail miserably at this*****, and sometimes I am better at this (again, see ****). I am highly aware of their process and have a great desire to support them through it. It is an honor and a privilege to parent these two. Few things in life bring me such pure joy.
My prized Christmas present from Mase this year. What could be more difficult than a watercolor self-portrait?

He said he wants to drink hot cocoa from it and store the marshmallows in the tank part. He did not appreciate it when I added a squished up tootie roll to the bowl.


 
(*Anyone who really knows me and Cody will think this assertion is hilarious. Yes, we know some people---but we're both so bad at playing that game, being associated with us might actually hurt our kids' credit. We're both publicly awkward with our art, we both have such little formal training. Well, maybe "stage" Cody is not awkward but he is himself, which isn't always popular. Neither of us has ever been able to disingenuously kiss ass. Trust me, we have both wished at times for this special talent.)

 (**Because of the public attention Chloe has earned for her memorable bunny, and because of her seeking a job at the Wichita Art Museum, she did earn the nomination for the Wichita Art Council award. She is meeting and receiving attention from artists and patrons in Wichita. It is possible some people will now recognize her hand, but even that started with her own merit.)
(***Lessons and public recitals killed my own love of music at times.)
(****You want to see me go all Mama Bear, ask me about this one. It started when his pre-school teachers told me they were "concerned" because he "doesn't like to color"....)
(*****Chloe has paved the way for Mase on this one. Especially when she told us she was "not going to submit a themed portfolio" to Scholastics and all I heard was not going to submit a portfolio. Yikes. She got the hammer on that one...for a while. Don't worry, though, the girl is naturally strong-willed---and she has cut her teeth within the safety of home, something I hope only helps her throughout college and life.)

2 comments:

the Whitelaws said...

I love this post! It was so great to see you at Christmas (although too short)! It's fun hearing about your life and your kids' lives.

Kim from Kansas said...

Forgot to come back and comment before. Awesome!!!