Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Nov/Dec Projects

The cold weather kills my desire to head out back to the studio. I do still love that space. Last Sunday I just went out there and sat. I had no desire (I have been flu/cold sick) to pick up a brush or soldering pick. I just sat and listened to Alpha wave inducing music, toasty under my new, fuzzy purple blanket from Andria. When Chloe came out to check on me I made a silly, but true statement, "I want to live in a culture with no subjunctive clause." The ultimate brain vacation. I should be able to do that wherever in the world I find myself living. Anyhow, the absoluteness of it all might really hurt my curious brain.

I have started a new painting. It has a similar feel to Grotesque Ethereal. I do hope I end up loving it as much as that one. I've never disliked a painting more at the beginning only to love it the most in the end. So, I thought I'd push the limits of that process again. I have forgotten to photograph it thus far.

I have finished this painting. It was supposed to be picked up over Thanksgiving but now I get to keep it until Christmas. It's a good thing. I added that vertical branch coming from the top down to the middle of the tree today. It needed more on that limb. Now it's just right.


I continue to work the 4'X4' giant canvas below. It has been two subjects (both with flooding and rainbows and metaxis) and worked and reworked since 2011. Even if I did have the money/space to have two 4X4 canvases lying around, I probably would have painted over the girl anyhow. For me, the second image heals in a more authentic, truthful way. Tonight it remains the most settled this canvas has been for to me. All that remains is for me to lean in to it. I suppose I will keep it in my living room until the perfect someone/space becomes available for it.
(This is what is now completely buried underneath the paint on the canvas below)
I have also been working on two jewelry projects for two different friends. I keep screwing them up. Ordering more parts, screwing those parts up, etc. It's nice to have paintings to turn to for awhile when that happens.

Also, after studying the two Marsden Hartley (He painted the earliest one from memory/imagination, and one as he remembered/reworked it) still life florals in the Modern exhibit at WAM, I have a strong desire to paint a still life.

No comments: