Wednesday, June 18, 2014

NYC Met the Met

Surprise of the century: I did not like my experience at the Met. The word "Overstimulating" nicely sums it up. I never understood what my Dad meant when he said the Louvre holds so much art you can't see it all in a day, week, however long it actually is even if you stood in front of each piece for only seconds. I get it now. And I don't like it. Dashing past a room full of Rembrandts felt sacrilegious to me. I hated that experiene.

There were also two specific galleries I was most looking forward to entering. They closed for "no reason" and it was not known when they would open back up. I could see the art from the doorway. Just couldn't jump the rope and go in. So I missed getting close to Bougereau and certain Bonnards.

I did get close to a touring Bonnard where I also got scolded by a snooty guard. Seriously. He said, "Too close!" Twice. (He was obviously not an obsessed with process painter.)

I did see Frederic Lord Leighton's Lachrymae. Also popped by Renior's recital (the one I was thinking of while I watched my neices play earlier this summer). The Van Goghs were amazing. Seriously amazing.


Bonnard and Lautrec would be happy about hanging next to each other. (This is the one I got too close to.) for scale, The Bonnard is probably 4' X 3'.

Bubbles and skulls. What more to love?


A half finished painting by God-knows-who (H Bosch?). I did love the blue underlayer reflecting the Master's style processs

Imagine capturing a moment like this? He must have been so present.

A beautiful, RARE Degas. I could have spent half a day in the Degas gallery alone.





Holy Bat-o-man. This is the largest Pollack I've ever been next to. Chaos theory en-er-Geeeee. Loved it!
So. What did I learn? Next time plan on only one or two galleries or a handful of paintings. Give myself permission to say, "I'll be back for you Remmy." I have to go back for Bougereau and Bonnard anyway. Until then, I think I'll go back to Crystal Bridges and relish in the wonderful museum it really is.


3 comments:

Hannita said...

Yes, good museums can be so overwhelming. I knew where I wanted to go for my latest Art Institute visit - the Chagall window for a while and then the modern wing. But to try and see everything there in one visit can be just too much.

Unknown said...

You're standing in front of a very big piece by one of my favorite artists, Jackson Pollack - so cool. I can just imagine us looking at it together.

Unknown said...

The Degas is amazing. I can't believe I've never seen a picture of this one. Wow!