Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Sea Fan



Yesterday was a bad day. There's a whole lot of energy spilling onto this canvas. The energy magically transformed somewhere between the canvas and my heavy chest and shoulders. The day ended pretty.

I did have one major high point yesterday. I learned a new Guided Image meditation. I used it with a client and then a friend and I tried it again while painting last night. It's something that helps with awareness of attention and there is a water metaphor involved. I'm pretty sure that's why I saw a sea fan in the painting, and why I chose to highlight it. My God! There really is no peace like the weightlessness of sinking into the deep, blue ocean.The water at the top might be wild and glittering and choppy yet deeper below, there is a peaceful center, guided by a steady, timeless current.

Iris Grace inspired me to play without regard again. I began with the no-pressure thought of my childhood painting experiences---that it wouldn't be precious and it would just be throw away. Now I like it enough to keep. I used acrylic---something I haven't done in years. I'm glad it was a positive experience because I would love to paint more and fumes/chemicals usually stop  me. (There are about 9 days a year when I can safely & comfortably paint outside. Kansas, right?) Plus, I can dig my hands in without guilt or gloves.

1 comment: