Saturday, June 15, 2013

Joe's Safe Place

I

What started as this became this became this became the above painting.

I thought my friend needed his own safe place painting. As I painted, I prayed for my friend to find safety. The painting began  in 2012 as a parched canvas---with holes and cracks and all kinds of spirit covering it. Then it was flooded. Even in the flood, a sacrificial lamb emerged. It grew green grass underfoot. Then it was flooded again and desolate and dark. Then a promise (rainbow) emerged over the darkness. Most recently, a peaceful meandering stream brought light and healing to the whole canvas (I forgot to document this with a photo)."Streams in the desert" Isaiah 35:6. Still, the canvas looked unfinished.

As I sat staring at the stream, again praying for my friend and his family, I asked God to show me more about my friend's safe place. It was then that I realized my friend's safe place can be found anywhere on this earth, no matter where he is, no matter what he is going through. The thing that makes my friend safe anywhere, speaks of his strong faith---his peace, the security he finds in trusting his Shepherd goes everywhere with him. To the highest highs, through the lowest lows: "Thy rod and thy staff comfort me" Psalm 23:4.


I know the depicted staff doesn't really look like a regular shepherd's staff...but then it isn't your regular shepherd's staff, is it?

1 comment:

Kelly said...

I really love this one, Mel. I like all the colors in it, and the path it took you on to get here. Interesting! Thanks for sharing :)