Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Healing Anchors

I pinned this to my tank top before going to bed last night. So what?
I took a Facebook Poll yesterday and asked what color people associate with healing. Here's what my friends said: 1 Full Spectrum, 1 Pink, 1 Red, 2 Gold, 7 White, and an overwhelming representation of 18 Blue & or Green (5 Blue, 4 Green, 1 Blue Teal, 4 "1st Green 2nd Blue" or "Green then Blue", 3 "Green or Blue" and 1 "white silvery aqua blue green".) My vote went to Blue and Blue-greens of any hue or shade.  

I asked because I had a hunch this would be the case. As I allow more of my own spirit into therapy (turns out you can't learn this from a book) I am experiencing the confirmation of what I have always known. My mandala assessment work confirms how powerfully we associate symbol and color with emotion. Many of us share these symbols and colors in common---and a few of us have developed and added our own associations---and occasionally one or two of us "flunkies"* reject cultural meaning/association entirely. 

Either way, these things are important because they are meaningful to us. If a trigger is something which is experienced negatively because it catches us off-guard and spurs an autonomic response, can't we also train and surround ourselves with antidotes? I call these antidotes "anchors". If you'd like to find your own anchors, ask each of your senses what they prefer. I can help you do this, too, if you get stuck. What do you like to see? touch? taste? smell? hear? Be intentional about adding these things to your daily experience and see what happens. (Sure a majority of us SEE blue/green, but that doesn't have to be your experience. Really ask yourself before assuming.)

I don't have quantitative data to back up my thoughts about sensory anchors and how powerfully they help me and my clients. I do, however, have qualitative data and that's enough for me. Next time someone tells me the stones they are wearing are healing, I hope to consider their meaning before privileging my own.


Who knows when/where this Zuni pin was made or who's hands have touched it?
I bought it on Ebay 4 years ago and have only worn it a handful of times since.
It's relevance is quickly growing for me.
*You know who you are and I am PROUD to call you friend!

No comments: