Thursday, May 30, 2013

Moon Mandala and Enamel Cab


Last weekend I took a training for the MARI mandala assessment instrument. Holy cow it is cool! I am already using it with clients and curious friends. The next step is to certify as a practitioner so I can advertise my new skills.

If you know anything about me, you know Mandalas have been a part of my life long before grad school. The certifying with the assessment instrument is just the next part of the general confluence I have been experiencing over the last few years of my life. It is natural and exciting for me!

I have gone back over several of my old paintings and mandalas now that I have a more "modern" approach. Even I am amazed as I pour over old sketchbooks and journals to see what I have always known consciously/unconsciously about symbology and color. Amazing!

If you ever get the chance to do a MARI session, I highly recommend it for personal insight/growth. Plus, my own artwork (I know there will be plenty more influenced by my new knowledge) will make more sense to you. I'd explain more now, but it's best to not go into the assessment not knowing anything about it.

After filling my enamel drawer in the studio, I could not wait to enamel. So here's my first metal project born in the new studio:

After counter-enameling on back, fine silver wires are stuck in place in a hot layer of clear glass. (Seen on the left side of the moon/sun face here.)

Then you pack the colored glass in the cells created by the wires.

Fired, melted glass.

Keep layering and firing...

...and Voila! I need to find a carborundum stone to buff this smooth and shine it up. I have no idea what that pink X is doing in the middle of the blue eye. It does not come off. Sweet!

No comments: