Sunday, December 9, 2012

House Metalwork


Not my typical metal project:
The pulls on the left have been boiled.
The pulls on the right are still nice'n'brassy.

 
I have these crazy lacquered brass pulls all over my built-in-1988-home. I have loathed them for 8 years. Yesterday I finally decided to do something about the 30 in my kitchen.

I boiled them twice in lime juice and salt water. The grime came off and the lacquer with it. I then dumped them in a trash can full of hot water and liver of sulfur. They did not blacken as much as I'd hoped so I spray painted them black satin.

60 unscrews, boiling & patina & paint, and 60 rescrews later, I'm thrilled with the results!



I got the new counter tops in March. Cody finished the back splash this week. The pulls were the finishing touch. (I'll try to find some before photos on my old Seagate.) So excited to live with the changes. In the past we've fixed our houses up and then moved.

One more thing from around my house. Here's my Christmas mantel. As Andria said last night, "I thought that painting sold!" It did. I was paid for in full and then I was told to deliver it to one Mr. Cody Cloud. What a gift, huh? I moved the painting from its place in the man-cave because I decided it has an awesome Christmas meaning, too. My aunt K/Fairy Godmother handmade the special stockings (every bead/sequin) for my kids. I love that they hang together...her presence is all over this place.


1 comment:

keenan88k said...

I'm smiling broadly with a tear in my eye. You are too kind!