Thursday, December 27, 2012

Christmas Paintings

Just before my birthday this year, I had a dream about music and color. I thought it was an idea worth exploring. I can't find my sketchbook (hello!?!) or I'd show you the evolution of the idea.
 
When I started this project, I didn't realize how ambitious it was. I had a feeling things would emerge and occur as I painted...I didn't know what to expect, though. One of the first things was that I realized I did not have the energy to do as many of these as I had intended and do them well. So shortly after marking off canvas for several people I quickly narrowed it down to doing just a handful of paintings this year. (I'll do more in the coming years for those who did not get one this year.)




You Make Beautiful Things with words superimposed for illustration.


Ave Maria with words superimposed for illustration.

Dad's favorite has long been Dvorak's New World Symphony. The line I painted for Dad was from Mvmt 2 and it's the first notes of the oboe solo which starts at :47 in this video:


Mom's favorite song is Oh Magnum Mysterium by Laurdisen. From the song I painted the second phrasing of the words Oh Magnum Mysterium.  



My brother's favorite song is Freddie Freeloader by Miles Davis. I painted the resolving phrase at :36.


Michele's current favorite song is Beautiful Things by Gungor. I painted the second time he sings "You make beautiful things" at 1:07


So what else emerged/occurred happened as I painted? I realized pretty quickly that of all the paintings Dad and Mom's two coordinate together the best...which I like. I realized that my brother's painting is different than all of ours...and I still don't know what that means. Michele's painting has this wild streak in the middle of it and I think it illustrates her capacity to reinvent herself while holding steady to the important things. My brothers' kids paintings all go well together, too---and they are a great mix of his and Michele's paintings. Miles' has every color in it and I like this because of his childlike spirit (I know there's a lesson in there about primary appreciation for beauty). I wept as I painted "sleee-eep in heav'nly peace" for Sophie because I realized how badly I want this for her. Lili's My Little Pony Theme translated all colorful, playful and fun---so much like her! Ave Maria is peaceful and moving (like a mini Rothko) much like the song itself---the colors seem like a nice blend of my aunt and uncle together.

As I painted I felt particularly close to my family members. I felt like they had given me a gift by letting me in on their favorite ear candy. It was as if I tried on their ears, their spirits for a few hours, and it was very beautiful, connecting experience. Everyone seemed to enjoy receiving their paintings as gifts this year. I wonder if the idea would have occurred to me had I not been on such a tight budget? Merry Christmas to all of us!




1 comment:

Julie said...

Loved reading all about your paintings of our favorite songs! This painting makes me love my song even more, and it was fun to find out everyone's favorites. I love the 3 little T's paintings--they look like portraits of them.

The first time I heard Michele's song, I was in the car and Lili and Sophie were singing along. You haven't really heard that song until you have heard them sing "You make beautiful things..." Now when I listen to that song, I can hear their little voices singing along.

Loved it when Matt knew the phrase you had painted before you told him.

Now you need to paint your family members' songs. I want to know what your favorites are.

Thanks a million for this gift. I loved M & M's gift to us, too--the birthdates/names on the wall hanging. My grandkids have such beautiful names and love their numbers, too.