Monday, June 25, 2012

Blue Pearl



Blue Pearl, 7" X 7"
Acrylic, Plaster, Wood, & String

There is an element of pack-rat to being an assembler. Objects speak to you and you can't explain why. You just know you must keep them around and live with them until their moment. This moment is why I love assemblage art. It's like working on a puzzle for years...and then one day it just all comes together. It means tolerating unresolved stuff in your space. 

Perhaps I will be able to explain this particular moment with words some day. I was relieved/confirmed to know I had all of these elements exactly when I needed them today. Analogous to the process of life, yes?

I made the open wooden box in 2007 when I was making mirrors and shadowboxes out of the old headers. I just looked back on the blog to see when I cast my hand---one year and one day ago. Mason made the pearl (starched string sculpture) at school this year in art. 
I wonder what it means that there is no glass on either side, and that the elements literally reach outside of the box?

3 comments:

Annie said...

I love the colors. They remind me of the ocean.

Melanie-Pearl said...

Antje, You are spot on. The colors do represent living water and enlightenment.

Anonymous said...

No glass so you are receiving the pearl, or maybe giving it?
Lara