Sunday, December 26, 2010

My Glass and Wooden Cloth

-The Bonnet, 2007

-The New Moon, 2007




-Ears to Hear, Eyes to See, 2006



-St. Christopher: Carry Us, 2008










-Evolution, October 2007 for Wheatland Mission






-Clay Feet, 2008







-Constructed Mirrors (Walnut, old fence, walnut), Coat Rack (Old header) and Love/Pride, 2007


-Babylon, Private Collection






-Me and my Shadowboxes on display at CathARTic, 20th Century Club, 2007









"Behind the glass barriers the contents of the boxes are untouchable and protected. The wooden board frame and cool glass are the only things we can make contact with. The rich, erotic and dramatic inner contents of the box are permanently beyond our grasp. They exist, forever cut off in their private, silent and still world.... In terms of content and imagery, the meaning of the boxes often involved the stimulation and exploration of memory---they were tools for the recovery of lost time.... Ultimately the box provided security and protection."

Quote taken from the chapter on Joseph Cornell in The Artist's Mind: A Psychoanalytic Perspective on Creativity, Modern Art and Modern Artists, by George Hagman, LCSW (Kindle version 2010).

This has to be the best non-fiction book on art that I have ever read next to Kimmelman's Accidental Masterpiece. So many pages confront me with the words I have never been given to describe myself and my creative process. Pinch me!

1 comment:

Julie said...

I LOVE that picture of you in the mirror! Thanks for sharing these pictures of your assembly art--my favorite is always "eyes to see".