Friday, July 29, 2011

Sitting



If sitting with any unfinished painting is difficult, actively sitting with an unfinished portrait of myself has been really difficult.

I sit with this painting and look at it for what it is. I look in the mirror or at the photo, then back to the canvas. I get to know myself as I am today. I work with what I really see---sensory see---not what I "think" see. Gradual strokes and shifts are made and truth begins to emerge, evolve. Sometimes I choose to portray what is real. Sometimes I portray what I like to imagine.

There is no other way to do this sitting. It just takes time. The extreme heat of summer is mercifully drying the paint quickly so I don't have to wait a whole week before adding another layer. Anyway, One would think I'd be used to all of this by now.

Sitting with oneself is just part of life. Since I'm human until the day I "arrive", I might as well get more comfortable with the process...and let you sit with me along the way. The two older posts are going back up now.

No comments: