Friday, July 1, 2011

Now that the hot month of June is over...


I thought I'd share this painting which left a huge mark in my mind when I first saw it in a book years ago. There is just something so amazing, so embryonic and beautiful about her.



I believe we encounter things in life (experiences, images, people, etc.) which change us forever. Sometimes we recognize the influence and revel in our "ah-ha" moments. Other times the influence remains a mystery...and that is beautiful, too.











Yesterday morning I sketched the mandala pictured above. I just chose the colors as I went---but the flesh tone and reds were first. As I sat there looking at the finished sketch Flaming June leapt off the page and I remembered that painting.





The mandala and Bird's Nest drawing in my sketchbook have come out of my own meditation, therapeutic processing and research for a paper I am currently writing for school.

If you want to do a fun exercise, draw your own bird's nest and then read about the exercise/click on the link below or send it my way and we can talk about it. This mandala happens to include my own Bird's Nest Drawing. Though my family is not depicted as birds, and though the "nest" is actually my body, all four of my family members are represented in this sketch. My daughter a baby (at the center because this drawing is for her), my son still an egg (sun) and my husband the tree.

2 comments:

Julie said...

Thanks for sharing this--I love your bird nest! Love the way you depicted Mason and Chloe.

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful image, and then to read the story is way cool.
K