Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Fifteen years later

Something about these:



Makes it okay to post these:




In spring of 1995 I took my first and only painting class. I painted these two paintings while in that class. (I would say who my teacher was, but an artist herself, she has a good name and I would not like to tarnish it by attaching these paintings to her name on the Internet. Another post, perhaps.)

Over the years I have grown really annoyed with how flat the patterns/pile on the fabrics look despite the shading/contour on the background. Back then I was already annoyed with how large the bust is compared to the dresser upon which it sits. The contents of the "still" life in the wooden cabinet continue to threaten, spill out and smash my feet.

At least in the second painting this was deliberate and directly due to the subject matter. The props were mine, except the wooden cabinet. That said, most of whatever translates on these two canvases is an accident.

Matisse on the other hand, knew how to paint "right" and added to his paintings what he "felt". Those first two paintings pictured above are what he attributed to be among his first paintings. He went through a somewhat classical painting education (he even studied under Bouguereau, the painter of the woman and the wave that I posted last month) before evolving his own style.

His own style involved feeling what he observed and expressing that on canvas. His paintings were intentional, though certain types of people will likely question this fact forever. He "sat" with his subject while seeking to "capture" it. Once in his grasp, he bravely embraced or fought (depending on how you see it) that process.

I am thankful Matisse studied, persevered and showed the world his perspective, his experience. He still encourages the rest of us to do the same.





(detail from the second painting)

No comments: