Sunday, January 16, 2011

*Pause*


Just a few weeks ago I Googled THIS LIST during dinner. Our family was having a discussion about beauty.

My ten year old boy said, "That's stupid. They paid millions of dollars just because they know that man's name? But they wouldn't buy your pretty painting because you aren't famous?"

I'll admit I'd be tempted to pay good money for any of the paintings on that list if I had it. Especially for Kilmt's Adele. (See photo at left and read more about how this woman, as a child, remembers eating Sunday lunch under this painting). The paintings on the list embody historical significance and they are each beautiful for many reasons. Unfortunately for those of us without large amounts of money to buy or travel, this means we have to settle for internet reproduction.

Mason was naively referring to Pollock. Without wanting to squash his gut response, I carefully explained it wasn't that simple. However, in several ways, Mason is right. Children,uninfluenced by "value", instinctively identify and pause for beauty. This is partly why spending time in their presence is a gift. They remind us we don't have to have a lot of money to surround ourselves with beauty.
Don't have a child to borrow? Try this: Shut your eyes and imagine your childhood home. Look around for beauty. Consider what you find.

What did you see? What was your experience? Where did you find beauty---inside, outdoors, in a face, on a wall, in the airwaves?

I remember my mom's piano playing and singing. It was like a soundtrack to whatever I was doing. Maybe that's why I love to paint to music. I remember daydreaming under trees and gazing at the sky. I remember the feel of my dad's carpet-like, perfect green grass between my toes. I remember marvelling at individual snowflakes. I remember many of my cousins' laughter and their beautiful, soft, smiling faces. I remember the smell of my grandmothers' love-infused baking.

***
Engage your imagination. It is just as much a "sense" as touch, taste, smell, hear and seeing yet we forget to use it.

Know what you find beautiful. Remember to pause for it. It's not only important for you, but for those who experience life with you. It is a gift you were made to share with others.

2 comments:

Julie said...

I took the time to read the Washington Post article about Josh Bell--what a great story! I loved it when that one girl recognized him--can you imagine how that felt?
I wish you could have seen the red rose wallpaper on the one wall of our living room on Allison. Huge red roses all over it. Mom loved it, but then covered it up with wood panelling--I think she got tired of people laughing at it. It was so colorful--I always knew she just loved it.
I loved to handle the pretty ivory combs my grandma put in her hair. I would watch her comb her long hair and then magically put it up with those combs. She would bend over to comb her hair and it would touch the floor. She couldn't ever cut her hair--not even to trim it. Her skin was so soft and beautiful. She was a beautiful person. I had the best grandma ever. So many beautiful things I've seen in these 61 years! I just may start a journal to remember all of the beauty I have seen.

Unknown said...

Thank you for the reminder, and for the challenge. You're right: so often we miss it because we're not paying attention, not slowing down for long enough to catch our breath, let alone recognize and enjoy the beauty that's all around us all the time.

Today I'm going to pay more attention. And hopefully it'll become second nature again.