Friday, August 29, 2008

My First Auction Pt. II

My painting sold to the highest bidder just like I knew it would.

I ended up going down to the auction by myself while Cody, Kim, Robert and Taylor wrapped up the dinner ticket.
I got down to there just as the live part began. My piece was #7 to be auctioned off. When they brought out my painting I could hear my heart beat thudding in my ears. Aside from that one time I fainted, I really don't think I've ever had that much of an instant rush of blood to the head. Then the bidding started...
...and then I bid. I bid on my own piece of artwork? Yup, I did.
When the auctioneer said "Sold!", and he asked for my number, all I could get out was "I don't have a number." Duh...I hadn't even signed up to bid. (At least there is proof that I hadn't planned on bidding for my own piece.) The auctioneer got me the last number registered for the night...I was bidder number 472, and I won my own painting.
I suppose I could have just written a check to Greensburg, but this was way more scary and thrilling! I did give away my very first oil painting back in 1995, and I've given away several since, but I've never been paid for a painting...and for at least today, it's going to stay that way.

3 comments:

aunteem said...

hmmmm...not surprised at all! though I do think Abode should pay you a little rent for making their furniture setting look so beautiful! Love you!

Kim from Kansas said...

Oh my! Did you really?

Anonymous said...

what did you pay???