Saturday, September 3, 2016

Coldplay Worth.It.

The first time we saw Coldplay was February 4, 2003 in this 3,500 seat auditorium. The second time we saw Coldplay was a few years later in September of 2005 where they played to 18,000 people at Sandstone Ampitheater. We saw Coldplay for the third time last week in Tulsa at the even bigger BOK Center. It was the band's 20th Anniversary of being together---and it is now part of our own 20th year of being married.

My Overgram illustrates how incredibly beautiful the night was. I thought I would put a few snapshots on the blog that I didn't put on Instagram.
Our seats were amazing---the best yet---and though expensive (let's be honest...after Sting/Peter Gabriel, I'm sure expensive is forever blown), I am sure we paid among the least in our section. We have never waited that late to purchase tickets so we were pleasantly surprised to see the seats were held to be released at random for face value in order to ward off scalpers. The seats we looked at early in the day were 2x what we paid and in the nosebleed section. We felt like we won the lottery!

Here's how the crazy day went: Cody woke up in Garden City the morning of the show. He only had 3 Litho cases but the Dr. scheduled a few surgeries before the Lithos so we were not sure it would even be possible to make the show. We knew Cody had to be on the road by 2pm or we were not going to get to Tulsa in time...so we held off on buying the tickets. I couldn't take it anymore so I finally called Cody at 1pm and asked what it was looking like. He had done 2 of the 3 cases. I went into my 1pm session and by the time I was done Cody had texted he bought two tickets and got us a hotel. Cody made no stops in the Diesel truck on the way home. I finished my sessions, got home threw my overnight stuff into a suitcase and waited with the car backed into the driveway. Cody drove up and we jumped in and drove like mad! Doors opened at 7. We knew there were 2 opening acts but we were sweating it out when we arrived at 8:30. Coldplay took the stage at 9. It was thrilling PERFECT timing! When we finally hit the sack at 3am (we had to go out for drinks with UJ afterward!) I mumbled something or other about "this day would not have been possible without our ability to tolerate ambiguity."



I really freaked out on this OA/ED effect. See Martin laying on the stage far left? They projected two images of him on the front screen for the ladder effect.

The round stage at the end of the runway had this swirl projected onto it so when the image was projected on the front screen it looked like it was "swallowing" Martin, who eventually laid down on it!


The confetti and streamer cannons were so great! I wound up with the orange ones wrapped around my neck. Martin acknowledged the party idea for this tour came directly from Wayne Coyne and the Flaming Lips (exactly what it reminded me of but on a much larger scale) At this mention people began pointing out Wayne Coyne who was there and can be seen in some of my photos. He was sitting directly across from us. Cool! 

No comments: