Friday, September 30, 2016

A new poem, a mile high

I love flying. I love defying gravity at take-off. I love guessing the moment the wheels completely leave the earth, and I love feeling the wheels touch down on the tarmac at landing. I purposefully let my body go limp so I can take in the full ride---skips, lurches and all. I look out planes similarly to how I look out at the ocean. Maybe it's the novelty, the O2mix or the trance-like attention commanded by wave after wave of new sensory input? *bing* Whatever the case, I especially love how a shift in perspective ushers in new experiences, new treasure for those of us who are present in those moments.

Great limestone bones lie dormant
within calligraphic blue shadows
and my spirit hovers
just this side of an ancient and indecipherable code
still
I look with wonder and long for the whole story.


This sky-down blue lake had just a few white boulders (?) at the top edge. I just checked the GPS on my camera and it looks like this is Pyramid lake. Wowee! (Even Marilyn Monroe swam there once.)
And how about this view North of Sacramento? That river runs all the way to Sacramento.

1 comment:

Julie said...

Love the poem. I, too, long for the whole story.