Monday, August 24, 2015

Chicago II (The AI)


For the first few hours, Cody and I walked around together, hitting the things I definitely wanted to share with him (Surrealist, Impressionism). The next two hours were on my own. Of course I went back to the Surrealist works and just lingered.

It's really something to be running through galleries and stumble upon a Redon. I have never seen the painting below because it was unfinished. How appropriate my first Redon is a bather in the sea? Then I turned to the next one and just grinned. Butterflies and flowers. Redon did not even use color until the end of his fourth decade...and after his fifth decade, was considered one of the greatest colorists.




The collection of Cornell's boxes positively ushers in an energy that is otherworldly. One becomes a child, full of wonder again, while looking at the tiny worlds he created. I could have crawled into many of the boxes and disappeared for hours.




Suspension. An act of grace for regular stuff, no?

I guess this proves I took the photos with my iphone.  ^




The name of this one is "Sand Fountain".


Cornell's "sand boxes" make me want to forget painting/metals for awhile. I only wish I could pick one up and move the mix around the box. These discarded items are now so precious, a collection.




Of course Magritte's Time Transfixed is always commanding. I must always pay homage to it, because it is the first Surreal image I remember.

No comments: