Saturday, April 25, 2015

Lily Pad Sapphire

My friend Tara gave me this beautiful natural sapphire several moons ago. The specs of her commission? Do whatever I want. Perfect!

After many failed attempts, the silver and sapphire finally decided to join each other and stay in one piece.

This completed ring is kind of a small victory...and another reminder to trust the process.


Back of the ring
Side view---so feminine.


Side





This was my first design. I thought mixed metals would look good with the sapphire. I kept burning up the baskets, though, because that was a lot of metal and all were soldering at different temps. No bueno. 


With this latest version (2 mos ago), I was tightening the last prong when the whole basket popped off, sapphire and all. Evidence of  poor contact/a bad solder job. The patina was perfect---but the domed circle with half-shank did not want to exist. Another basket ruined. 

As I waited for another basket to be shipped to me, I began playing with the perfectly domed circle. I flipped the dome and punched the metal up in the middle. Eventually I'd hammered the metal enough without stopping to anneal that it began to stress crack at one point. That's when I had the idea to make it a lily pad. I broke off a wedge of metal at the crack, filed it down and added irregular waves around the edges. I'm so glad it all stayed together. I like the end version the best!