Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Floating Paint

A friend has commissioned me to paint a 36"X36" marbled canvas. He wants black and white with limited "Ferrari Red". I played around with the pigment/effects today. Of course I love painting on water.

There are still plenty of surprises but each time I marble I feel that I get better at predicting what will happen/how to create certain effects. My mind is a little blown by all the energy in these...can hardly imagine a whole 3' square canvas of this. I do think it will be awesome.

I think this one is my favorite. It's dominated by black.
I don't care for the movement in this one.
Too much red and the colors got muddy. (I know exactly why.)




Close second for favorite. I like the distinct dots and the movement in this one and the less red.

The next three photos show the painting progression to final product:




Here's another series from near beginning to print:

Too much red and too swirly, but fun to see the process to print.



No comments: