Friday, August 22, 2014

More Air and Earth


A few more lines will be added to curve up the base a bit more. I might also darken it so the sphere comes forward more.

Added black to the detail. Still deciding about the center stone on this one. Also think I'll green out my initials so they don't distract from the painting. (I used to not sign any of my paintings for this reason. Now they seem unfinished without my paint signature.

One thing I have realized while painting these elements is that each of the members of my immediate family are represented. Water came first, and it was a very natural outpouring since water is my element. I had no idea when I made it that I would want to do the other elements. When I realized the desire was there, I chose to start on Earth first. It wasn't supposed to be so green but that's how the color spread so I went with it. As I painted Earth I realized this is without doubt Mason's element---green has always been his favorite color. While painting Air I began to see Chloe all over it. The amethyst is there for her birth date.

I do have one more in the series---Fire---and I'm pretty excited about painting it. Of course this one is for Cody. It's going to have some pretty huge Marsian energy. I've always known it would have a gunmetal base but haven't known the shape yet. Mason gave me the idea to put dragons on it. The canvas is ready to go and tomorrow we'll have fire!

The ironic thing is that though they are so personal, I do not believe I will actually own any of these paintings. (First dibs are out there with the people who own Water.) Really, this is not a new thing. All of my paintings are personal. What used to be terrifying---parting with such personal space---has really become an awesome thing to watch. I am honored by who connects with them and where each of them land.

Anyhow, I'm quite sure these paintings take on their own meaning outside of my lens. As the person who owns Water said upon her first face to face encounter with it, "There are worlds within worlds...."

PS)If you're tired of seeing these spheres all over my blog since before Mother's Day, know you're not alone. I think I am ready to paint some human subjects again.

No comments: