Thursday, August 14, 2014

Air


Floating paint in the hula-hoop
 Spent time double marbling the 3rd element today: Air.

After the black background on Earth I decided I wanted a darker background on this one, too...not so much. I painted a purple background, then a blue background. I'm going to gesso over both and start over with the background. It's why there's not even a photo of what does exist. Can't do it.

The detail is gorgeous. I'm pretty sure I'll have to do more with the acrylic interference colors. The interference colors don't hold a true marble...or maybe I added too much gall. These are brand new expensive, pigment heavy liquid acrylic paints I bought with the money from the sale of Three Graces.

So, maybe I will like acrylics after all. The chemicals from my oil days are wrecking havoc on my health. No more hands dipped in paint thinner...because I can hardly ever keep my hands out of the paint. I found something called "Retarder" that actually slows the dry time of acrylic to a more workable pace. It's still nothing like the weeks of wet oil possibilities...but it's also kinda cool I don't have to wait forever to paint the next layer/step. Now if I can just find something that allows me to blend like oils....
Mesmerizing! (That's the studio door window reflecting)

Freshly dipped and ready to wash
Iridescent Bliss!
   

1 comment:

Olathe Upholstery said...

Loovely blog you have here