Sunday, March 23, 2014

My Girl

I will never forget the night Chloe came in from my studio and put this sketch on my nightstand. "Look Mom. There's a smoking bunny in your room!" I am proud to share that a more finished version (she added a few wisps of smoke after I snapped this) of this super-soft bunny drawing is going to tour 5 museums in the US for the next year because Chloe won a gold medal at the National Scholastics Art and Writing Awards. This means out of 255,000 pieces of art, Chloe's bunny made the top 1%. She was even invited to Carnegie Hall for an award ceremony! We are on a waiting list for tickets to the event. Might have to hold a fire-sale to actually get there.

People often remark that her talent comes from being the daughter of a musician and an artist. Yes, we do provide a home where she is encouraged in her gifts---but I promise her raw talent is from somewhere out of this world. (I could post a zillion pictures from her early years. Girl could put a dress-up outfit together out of trash!) Her drive and her technical skills are all her---she works HARD. If anything, I have learned a thing or two from her. She inspires me and she has since the first time I saw her chubby little face, big blue eyes and red hair.
 
Chloe recently asked me to show her how to make this ring.

(Chloe's art teachers at Maize Hight have provided amazing guidance and support. Before winning at the National level, she earned 6 awards & 2 cash prizes for 6 pieces accepted to the regional Scholastics show. Thank you Gallery XXI and Wichita Arts Council!)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Such sweetness, both in the description of your amazing daughter and in the experience of your words. -Korrene