Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Water + Music = Divine

I've been in my new office for 2 1/2 months. Amy's husband rigged up a  sweet "air-play" sound system. Sometimes Chopin plays. Sometimes I hear "Come Thou Fount". One time I was in the middle of an EMDR session when "Where is My Mind" by the Pixies came on outside my door. Of course each of these were piano arrangements, but still, when you know a song, you know a song.

So, a couple weeks ago I was sitting at my desk and became aware that the song on the radio was piercing through whatever I was doing and moving straight through my soul. I ran out to the Ipod to catch the song title and saw "Le Petite Fille de la Mer" by Vangelis. I wrote it down and determined to Google it later. Monday I found the scrap paper onto which I had hastily scrawled the French words. I then posted this video on Facebook. Last night, a woman who does not know me very well, translated the French: "Little Girl of the Sea". Of course it does.

A deeply meaningful, matter-of-fact statement I have come to say to myself when I am keenly aware of the beautiful element is, "God is in the water." Water, in all its forms (lately in the amazing form of snow), is my element. My "Sudden Heaven", my "Thin Moments"---whatever you want to call them---all involve water. 

When I was in grade school I saw the ocean for the first time. I clearly remember the beach and so much about that vacation. When I was about eleven years old I witnessed a tragic accident on an amazing river. I have stood at the port in Dalian and dipped in the yellow sea. Every summer I delight in our local fishing lease. I have stood frightened by the power of water at the Three Gorges Dam. As an adult, I've been lucky enough to soak up the Caribbean (my fave ocean) countless times. Instead of always wishing to fly, I have more often thought, "If only I could hold my breath longer!" 


Even the songs I love are inspired by water:



While driving recently Cody pointed out the most wonderful, soul-binding thing. He said, "Thank you for allowing music to move you."

Music, water---powerful waves? ...as if I have a choice.

1 comment:

Julie said...

Beautifully stated. Love the links to the pictures. Especially the one of you in China. They always call the falls on the Tahquamenon River, "Root Beer Falls". It really looks like foam/root beer going over the rocks. I love how you and Cody understand each other so well when it comes to art and music. What a great thing it is that you two can go through life together having all of these wonderful experiences!