Tuesday, February 4, 2014

The Show

The show went extremely well. Over 500 people came out to interact on Friday night. It was pure bliss to observe friends and total strangers enjoying themselves together.
Andria and Lara---looking tenderly at my baby, LOL.
 
There was a glass wall between my piece and another. (The above photos are taken from opposite sides)
I snapped the above (left) photo to capture the naturally occurring, serendipitous (vortex projection, Brent Duncan's Psychloid) reflection. 

Kristen Beal's Untitled (below) contribution to the show was simple, quiet, small and yet so serenely powerful. It was my favorite projection of the show. Surrounded by comments like, "What is it?", the piece begged the viewer to suspend (like the found objects in water) rational thought, and just get lost in the beautiful moment. Look again. Transported via everyday objects? No doubt, that's a secret in this day and age.
Kylie generously opened the gallery for just my family on Thursday night. These four photos/experiences would not have been possible on Friday:
Mason and Mom at the touch wall (John Harrison, Touch #2) moving all the spheres to the center. He was so enamored by the responsive interaction and music, I'm pretty sure Mason didn't even see my piece.
Chloe taking in one of the projections. (Ian and Sarah Stewart's, Uninhabited, Parts 8-10)
The three most important men in my life.

(Georgia and Torin Anderson's, Smolder, video and paper sculpture)

Christopher Gulick helped Kylie suspend the light rigs---so I got to meet someone whose work I greatly admire. I wonder how many other people besides myself noticed his fancy angled bend? I love that it's there!

Through this project, Creative Rush, and the natural networking in the last two months I have gotten to meet so many new "important" people I have "known of" and admired. I have been vulnerable, risked sharing space and have been richly rewarded.


Thank you to all who came out for the show. Throughout these last couple months I have experienced the greatest support from my friends and family. You provide the harbor from which I sail. Thank you for understanding my ship was not built to stay in the harbor. Your blessing on my endeavors (even when they keep me from you) means more than I can ever tell, and quite possibly more than either of us will ever know (what happened in the hearts of those who experienced SOS?).

Yesterday I turned down a live painting gig working on this project because I sense I am ready to go back inside for awhile. And while I can't help but feel crazy for not participating in such a cool thing, I am looking forward to creative time in my safe little studio, free from external pressure and deadlines. ...at least for now!

No comments: