Saturday, February 16, 2013

More thoughts on Humans and Water


At EMDR training I tried on a headset that had water sounds in it. The water moved from my left ear over to my right ear in a continuous flow. I took off the headphones about as quickly as they were put on. In an instant I was back in a teak-lined cabin "watching" I Love Lucy reruns while Lake Michigan tossed around the 32'-masted-boat on which I was "sailing".

But water is my element! Yes, as much as I worship it, water scares me. Peace and dread? Both.

When I was ten or twelve (what year was it Mom?)I saw a pontoon boat---the one I had ridden several times and had just gotten off of---overturn. One woman (her name was Hope) drowned while a 3 year old child and 20+ other adults made it to shore. I remember watching the trolling boat and black suited divers searching the river for Hope's body for several days.

It is a beautiful tree-lined 89 mile river. It even has a huge waterfall we used to cruise to and climb around. It is the same river in which I learned to water ski. The root-beer colored water has plenty of leeches---I remember the boys filling buckets with them and threatening the pretty girls who liked to scream. I saw many people baptized in that river (including my aunt), and I'm sure the tradition continues. People still take boats to get to camp there...and it looks like they have a great, multi-cultural (okay, that was snarky) time.

Different humans, different experiences. All valid. Same place---beautiful and ugly.




2 comments:

Julie said...

Interesting that you remember her name being, "Hope", because her name was Karen. Just thought that was interesting.

Melanie-Pearl said...

That is amazing, Mom! I have really had it in my head that her name was hope all these years. I wonder if someone said something about searching for hope and I took it literally or if I just felt HOPE or even if I just needed it? I believe the brain is capable of remembering things wrong & that memory evolves over time...and this is exactly the reason why I like studying the psychology of brains.

In The Developing Mind, Daniel J. Siegel (UCLA NeuroS) uses the phrase “the feeling of being felt” to describe relationships that shape the mental circuits responsible for memory, emotion, and self-awareness. Brain-altering communication is triggered by deeply felt emotions that register in facial expressions, eye contact, touch, posture, movements, pace and timing, intensity, and tone of voice.