Tuesday, August 28, 2012

On my Mantel


Unfinished Moonlight Limbs 16X20 Oil and Paraffin 2011
People keep coming to my house surprised by the paintings on my mantel. Apparently I have never posted Moonlight Limbs here (I posted about the other painting HERE). This is a painting which was incredibly fun to create. I literally painted it outside by only the light of a full moon while listening to King of Limbs for the first time...and second time...and third time.... Honestly, I'm not sure how many times the album repeated until I was ready to turn on the light and see what the painting actually looked like.

Cody had asked me to paint with those 3 colors, on that canvas for the Vehicles cover artwork for Satchels and Beards. The only other thing he wanted was a strong vertical presence and if I remember correctly, he used the words digital/analog to describe the energy. Ultimately the graphics designer with whom Cody worked did not want to use the painting and the idea to include it was scrapped. I had more fun creating the painting than I did looking at it, so I put it away. I got it back out again last fall and added the resist and blues and greens over the top of the lines. Doing this gave the moonlight presence on the leaves of the trees.
Now I like it enough to live with daily (for awhile, right?).

Ceramic Vase with Raku finish by Cody Cloud 1995

The vase was actually hand-built by Cody when he was in high school. It sat in our attic until I remembered it because I thought it would work well with these paintings. I love to see that something he created years ago is still relevant (more so?) and natural when paired with my own creations years later. Everyone really should get to handle this vase.
The textures and glaze are fascinating to the senses. Here are more photos with and without flash.









The altered book that sits on the mantel was made by my Great-Grandmother Lena Klassen Ensz.
I cherish having something this personal of hers. Newspaper Poetry, Bible verses, various clippings, and handwritten poetry are pasted within its warped pages. I know she made the book before my grandmother's birth because her hand written record of children only includes my grandmother's first three siblings. I often wish I could have known her. She died 3 years before my birth.

(Lena is circled in yellow)















The old squares on my mantel belonged to Cody's grandfather (who was married to this woman). He was an a tender man who is still a part of my daily life through his heavy influence on Cody. He was always a hard worker so it is fitting I remember and honor his presence through his tools.
(This isn't on my mantle but it sits to the side. More of Grandpa's odds and ends.)

 A young classmate of mine came over earlier this year. She started to say, "Don't take this the wrong way...but your house has a real...well, vintage...." I assured her I was not offended by her remark. Hopefully the modern is seen in my home, too.
The presence of both means I am living with intergenerational awareness, congruency.
So while the things in my house are just things...they are really much more than just things.

No comments: