Sunday, April 1, 2012

A Symbolic Build For The Next Chamber

Two of my biggest dreams are about to come true:
1. Working at a job in a field which I LOVE.
 2. A "shed" somewhat like this (10X20) is going to be built* in my backyard.

 My building will have North facing transom windows (perfect painter's light) and cross-ventilating windows (for when I fire up the new torch). Eventually it will evolve into whatever it is that looks like my studio space. Of course I will share photos as it goes up.

For now, I enjoy dreaming about the space. I imagine Chloe drawing out there with me. I imagine Mason throwing pots, and Cody playing his acoustic guitar. I imagine my record player spinning. I imagine still life arrangements left undisturbed for weeks at a time. I imagine painting portraits out there. Drop-in friends will be welcome to make my dream part of their own. I imagine them resting on a slip covered chair (the same chair which will appear in different portraits). I imagine being washed in Alpha waves, experiencing the beautiful sense of timelessness. (There will be no clocks allowed in there. Yes, that means your phone and your ipod are not allowed. Don't worry. There will be a nice mailbox outside the door into which you can deposit these things (ringers off) for safe-keeping). I imagine silence. Protected. A place of Peace. Possibility. Dreaming. Meditating.

*My Dad has volunteered to build this thing, though it sounds like several of the most important men in my life are going to be helping, too. The money I set aside for this project was only going to buy me half the space due to the cost of labor. Whenever anyone gives their time and skill---well, that is a quite the gift. I think my grandfather's own Master's degree is in Woodworking and Industrial Design. So cool to know he will be a part of my dream. Yes, I know I am a lucky girl.

        Again, from my favorite poem:
Build thee more stately mansions, O my soul,
As the swift seasons roll!
Leave thy low-vaulted past!
Let each new temple, nobler than the last,
Shut thee from heaven with a dome more vast,
Till thou at length art free,
Leaving thine outgrown shell by life’s unresting sea!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Artists' studios are the best place to go, to be, to imagine, to listen, to learn, and to philosophize. And, your new studio will begin with a story and a history (most develop along the way). I can't wait to see it physicalized.
K

Jeannie said...

So neat! I'm so happy for you but also jealous. It will be so nice for you to have a place to escape to and create even more than you do now. I still dream that someday I will have such a space, but I can't see it ever happening. You are indeed lucky to have the support of family to help make your dreams come true. I don't always get around to the blogs so please put pictures on Facebook of the progress..... I'm excited for you but green with envoy....LOL