Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Mandala Journals




These are sketches for the leather bound mandala journals I am making. The circular paper cutting is in the works, thanks to some retired printers and a Dad who take my visions seriously enough to make my sketches come to life. (I love that they love what I love.) Originally I wanted to use 100% cotton paper, but that is too expensive to justify. The paper will be at least an 80# blend---perfect for pencil, colored pencil or Micron pens. The paper will be the exact size of a CD, so you can even give your drawings away in ready-made envelopes, or store them in clear binders. I will sell the papers plain/loose or loosely bound as shown above. (I'll let you know when I've got them done and the ETSY shop is up and running.)

The binding ideas I do have are all different. Some of the journals will be one-of-a-kind: think along the lines of all the buckles/hardware I have leftover (yes, they are piled to the brim of a big popcorn tin) from the vintage belt/bracelet days. I want to distress/color some of the leather in processes like I did with the new leather/hand finished bracelets and simply tie the ends off with waxed string/beads. I might even bind in hand-made paper covers to keep costs down, for those who just want a nice circular paper journal. We'll see where it all leads---I know there's a need, because I've felt it myself!

1 comment:

Megs said...

hey girl! just strolling through your blog and trying to catch up on the things i've missed! loving all these new ideas you're working on! i can't believe you're finding the time in school! hope all is well, it looks beautiful!